Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Table of Contents?
WriteYourLife
post Nov 16 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Loyal Member
Member No.: 1,348

I'm trying to figure out how to place the Table of Contents in front of my story, you know, so the reader can filter through the comments and go directly to the chapters. How do I do that?

Thanks,
Jenna
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dreamertash
post Nov 26 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #2

BB... You leave me finger-tied

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 9

QUOTE (WriteYourLife @ Nov 16 2011, 09:49 AM) *
I'm trying to figure out how to place the Table of Contents in front of my story, you know, so the reader can filter through the comments and go directly to the chapters. How do I do that?

Thanks,
Jenna

(Edited to provide more detail in the coding step - ~R)

I can only tell you how I do it as WYF doesn't have the coding available to do it for you automatically. So, please forgive me if I am telling you anything you already know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

First, it helps to have two browser tabs open - one on the intro post in the thread where you plan to list the TOC and the other from which you'll pull the address of the chapter.

Click Edit on the post that will hold the TOC. Over time I've gotten in the habit of copying the coding from the previous chapter in the TOC and simply plugging in the new chapter number and title and that new chapter's unique identifiers from the URL.

In the new chapter browser tab: Unless you have JUST posted it and are still on the page with that post's personal URL in your address bar, you will have to click Edit on the chapter post and then immediately click Submit Modified Post. This will give you the proper URL to that chapter. Copy it and go back to the TOC browser tab. Once there, simply plug in your chapter's URL and make the adjustments as shown below except no spaces! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) If you do it exactly as below it will maintain the link even if posts get deleted in the thread. If you do a straight copy and paste of the full URL it seems to rely on the page number and position instead and will not lock on the chapter if earlier posts get deleted later.

Let me give you an example of how this works.

In Feet First the location of Chapter 1 is:
http: //www. whatsyourfiction. com/ index. php? showtopic= 18&st=0&p=64&#entry64

Remember, this seems to change if a post before it is deleted (as I found out when I began my "reworking" project on FF) so it is not practical to use this complete URL for your TOC.

Therefore, the TOC coding should look something like this: [ url=" HTTP: //whatsyourfiction. com/ index. php? showtopic=18& view=findpost&p=64"] Chapter Number - Chapter Name [ /url ]

Note that the portion in blue shows what is different from the complete URL (it replaced st=0&p=64 &#entry64). You keep only the last number in the URL so that the link will take you directly to your chapter. Also the " and the [ ] are all absolutely necessary. The only thing your code should NOT have is spacing. I did that only because otherwise you would only see the links in their completed states. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Practice a few times by clicking on the finished links (while post is in "Preview" mode), just to be sure you've not left anything out, and then click on "Submit Modified Post".

You can also use the same link coding in the "Updates" thread to link straight to the new chapter. I do that as well.

If this doesn't work or you still have trouble, message me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Robin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 04:56 AM

Adam Lambert | Allison Iraheta | Danny Gokey | Matt Giraud